What is Nitrofurantoin?
Nitrofurantoin (the active ingredient) is an antibiotic, used to prevent and treat infections of the bladder, kidney and other parts of the urinary tract.
How does Nitrofurantoin work?
High levels of nitrofurantoin get filtered out of the blood and into the urine by your kidneys. This puts the medicine right among the bacteria that are causing the infection, and then kills them.
What are the benefits of taking Nitrofurantoin?
Infections of the bladder, kidneys and urinary tract can be painful and extremely uncomfortable. Treating these infections with a simple course of antibiotics will get you feeling healthy and happy again.
By opting for a drug that’s specifically tailored to target the bacteria at its source, Nitrofurantoin provides a much more efficient and effective treatment than other antibiotics.
- Take one capsule twice daily, roughly 12 hours apart. (3 day course)
- You should always continue the course until it is complete unless otherwise directed by a doctor.
- You should see your GP if no improvement in your symptoms once the course is complete.
If you notice blood in your urine, or suffer with fever, chills, back pain, or vomiting your infection may be more serious and you should see your GP as soon as possible.
- The most common side effects of using Nitrofurantoin include:
- Feeling sick (nausea) and headache
- Loose stools Loss of appetite, stomach ache and being sick (vomiting)
- Dizziness, drowsiness
- A variety of skin rashes or reactions
Nitrofurantoin is the active ingredient in MacroBid.
The inactive ingredients are talc, corn starch, lactose, carbopol, povidone, sugar and magnesium stearate.