What is Vitaros (alprostadil) Cream?
ED treatment in the form of a cream. A good option for men who can't take other ED treatments.
How to use Vitaros:
- Works in 5 to 30mins. Do not use it with other ED treatments. Use no more than once a day and no more than 3 times a week. Must be stored in a fridge - do not freeze. Lasts only 3 days at room temperature - after that it may not work.
- Hold your penis upright. Gently squeeze the tip of your penis to widen the opening. If you're uncircumcised, retract your foreskin.
- Hold the tip of the applicator as close as possible to and directly over the opening of the penis (urethra). Do not insert the tip of the applicator into the urethra.
- Carefully push down the plunger with your thumb or finger, until all the cream is in the opening of the urethra.
- Gently push any excess cream on the surrounding skin into the urethral opening with a clean finger.
Can Vitaros cream be used everyday?
Vitaros cream should not be used more than 2 or 3 times each week, and it shouldn’t be used more than once in a 24 hour window. The effects of Vitaros can often be felt between 5 and 30 minutes of applying cream. The desired effects usually last for 1 or 2 hours, during which time you should be able to have successful intercourse.
How does Vitaros work?
Vitaros' active ingredient (alprostadil) increases the levels of a naturally occurring chemical in the penis. This causes the blood vessels in the penis to swell and should give you a firmer and longer lasting erection. The treatment will not resolve the underlying physical cause of your ED or increase your sexual desire.
How effective is Vitaros?
Vitaros treats ED in 52% of cases. Urinating after applying Vitaros can reduce its effectiveness. We advise trying an ED treatment 8 times before giving up or seeking an alternative.
What is the suitable dosage for Vitaros?
Vitaros comes in as a cream in a strength of 3mg/g. Each individual 100mg container holds a full dose. All the cream should be applied to the opening of the urethra for best effect.
Are there any drug interactions with Vitaros?
It is important that you let us know which prescription, over-the-counter medicines and recreational drugs you are taking so that our doctors can prescribe you Vitaros safely.
What are the side effects of Vitaros?
Some men report irritation at the tip of the penis. Others experience pain or redness, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and headache.
Inform your partner that you are using Vitaros. Female partners have reported vaginal itching or burning. There is a risk of abnormal pregnancy and you must use condoms if your partner is of childbearing age, pregnant or breastfeeding.
Can I drink alcohol when using Vitaros cream?
To get the most out of any ED treatment, it is advisable to cut back on drinking lots of alcohol. Alcohol can sometimes be the cause of ED, while it might be fine to have a glass of beer or wine, it is best to avoid it for the best results.
Some men find counselling helpful as a means of exploring and treating psychological causes for ED. If Vitaros does not work for you, contact us so that we can discuss your treatment options.